COST:General Admission: $15
Student Admission: $5
Explorer Pass Holders: FREE
Thursday, June 29 – 10:30 AM
Thursday, July 6 – 10:30 AM
Thursday, July 13 – 10:30 AM
Thursday, July 20 – 10:30 AM
Thursday, July 27 – 10:30 AM
Thursday, August 3 – 10:30 AM
Thursday, August 10 – 10:30 AM
Thursday, August 17 – 10:30 AM
Thursday, August 24 – 10:30 AM
Thursday, August 31 – 10:30 AM
Tour Meets At:
This downtown walking tour focuses on downtown buildings built in Buffalo in one of the twentieth century’s most distinctive architectural styles: Art Deco. Prevalent during the 1920s and 1930s, Art Deco is a unique style combining traditional motifs with modern imagery and materials of the Machine Age. Characterized by its use of bold geometric shapes, rich colors, and lavish ornamentation, Art Deco buildings stand out for their beauty and symbolism.
The Court Street corridor of downtown Buffalo, from Lafayette Square to Niagara Square, puts the Art Deco style on grand display. Buildings featured on this tour include Buffalo City Hall, Rand Building, Industrial Bank Building, Michael Dillon Federal Courthouse Walter J. Mahoney State Office Building, and the lobby of the Hotel Lafayette. While visiting these Art Deco gems, you will learn about Buffalo during the 1920s and 1930s when these buildings were being built.
This tour meets at the Western New York Book Arts Center at 468 Washington Street, Buffalo, NY 14203, at the corner of Washington and Mohawk Streets. Two-hour metered parking is available on surrounding streets, and the Mohawk Parking Ramp is on the opposite corner. The Lafayette Square Station of the Metro Rail is around the corner on Main Street.
- Advance reservations are encouraged but not required for this tour.
- All credit card payments must be made in advance. Advance reservations with a credit card can be made online until the tour starting time. Cash or checks are accepted at the start of the tour.
- If you make an advance reservation, please print your confirmation email, or be prepared to show it on your phone.
- This tour is between ninety minutes and two hours in length.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather – the tour will proceed rain or shine.
- Cameras are encouraged!