COST:General Admission: $15
Student Admission: $5
Explorer Pass Holders: FREE
Friday, August 18 – 9:30 AM
Saturday, August 19 – 9:30 AM
Friday, August 25 – 9:30 AM
Saturday, August 26 – 9:30 AM
Friday, September 1 – 9:30 AM
Saturday, September 2 – 9:30 AM
Friday, September 8 – 9:30 AM
Saturday, September 9 – 9:30 AM
Friday, September 15 – 9:30 AM
Saturday, September 16 – 9:30 AM
Friday, September 22 – 9:30 AM
Saturday, September 23 – 9:30 AM
Friday, September 29 – 9:30 AM
Saturday, September 30 – 9:30 AM
Friday, October 6 – 9:30 AM
Friday, October 13 – 9:30 AM
Friday, October 20 – 9:30 AM
Friday, October 27 – 9:30 AM
Tour Meets At:
This tour showcases Buffalo commercial architecture at the turn of the twentieth century, when the city was the eighth largest in America and hosted the Pan-American Exposition. Many were designed by prominent local architectural firms, including Green & Wicks and Esenwein & Johnson, and exemplify the Beaux Arts architectural style popular at that time.
Popular around the turn of the twentieth century, Beaux-Arts, which translates as “Beautiful Arts” and began in Paris, is characterized by elaborate detail and ornamentation, with many classical influences. Many of the buildings on this tour have been meticulously restored in recent years to meet current needs, including the Electric Tower and Curtiss Hotel.
This tour meets at the Western New York Book Arts Center at 468 Washington Street, Buffalo, NY 14203, at the corner of Washington and Mohawk Streets. Two-hour metered parking is available on surrounding streets, and the Mohawk Parking Ramp is on the opposite corner. The Lafayette Square Station of the Metro Rail is around the corner on Main Street.
- Advance reservations are encouraged but not required for this tour.
- All credit card payments must be made in advance. Advance reservations with a credit card can be made online until the tour starting time. Cash or checks are accepted at the start of the tour.
- If you make an advance reservation, please print your confirmation email, or be prepared to show it on your phone.
- This tour is approximately ninety minutes in length.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather – the tour will proceed rain or shine.
- Cameras are encouraged!