Allentown Literary Ghost Walk
2017 Dates Coming Soon!
General Admission: $20
Student Admission: $15
Explorer Pass Holders; $15
TR Site Members: $15
Allentown Association Members: $15
Do you dare spend an October evening at twilight walking through a neighborhood whose streets were once the scene of a bloody War of 1812 battlefield filled with dead bodies scalped and tomahawked… or pass under the shadows cast by dark brick Victorian mansions ornamented with grotesque gargoyles, soaring chimneys, and witch’s hat turrets… or tread upon the vestiges of abandoned graveyards and a tombstone maker?
With all of this found within Buffalo’s Allentown Historic District, it’s no wonder it has inspired legends of ghosts and ghouls through the years, captured by its resident literary artists. On this two-hour tour, you will experience the shudder of an authentic Victorian ghost story as you hear tales that inspired writers such as Mark Twain, Anna Katharine Green, and Harry Castlemon amidst the backdrop of authentic Victorian homes – with a reputation for being haunted.
There are two different walking routes:
- Allentown Central, which begins at the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site at 641 Delaware Avenue, and includes North Street, Irving Place, Park Street, and Virginia Street.
- Allentown West, which begins at the Karpeles Manuscript Museum at 453 Porter Avenue, and includes Symphony Circle, College Street, Cottage Street, and Day’s Park.
- Advance reservations are encouraged but not required for this tour.
- All credit card payments must be made in advance. Advance reservations with a credit card can be made online until the tour starting time. Cash or checks are accepted at the start of the tour.
- If you make an advance reservation, please print your confirmation email, or be prepared to show it on your phone.
- This tour is approximately two hours in length.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather – the tour will proceed rain or shine.
- Cameras are encouraged!