DOCENT TRAINING PROGRAM
What do Explore Buffalo docents do?
- Volunteer docents lead all of Explore Buffalo’s walking tours, including regularly scheduled and private group tours for the general public, and school tours for thousands of students from elementary to high school. With hundreds of tours given each year, there are many opportunities to participate!
Why become a docent for Explore Buffalo?
- Being a docent for Explore Buffalo is FUN! What could be more thrilling than showing people from around the world Buffalo’s incredible architecture and history?
- Explore Buffalo is a docent-run organization, with a board of directors composed of active docents and volunteers, so your efforts will be supported and appreciated.
- Being a docent is a great way to meet new people within Explore Buffalo or among our many community partners. Explore Buffalo organizes regular social events for docents and volunteers.
Who can become a docent for Explore Buffalo?
- Anyone can become a docent! All that is required is an interest in and passion for Buffalo’s history and architecture.
- You are supplied with thorough background information and reading materials, not a script to be memorized. We encourage you to develop your knowledge of Buffalo and your unique voice as a storyteller conveying the growing and changing story of our city.
Docent Training Programs
- Our Winter Docent Training Program is on Saturday mornings from 9 AM – 12 PM for nine weeks beginning in February. Information on this program is available beginning in November.
- Our Spring and Fall Docent Training Programs are accelerated seven-day programs on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings from 9 AM – 12 PM. The Spring program is held in early May, and the Fall program is held in September. Information on the Spring program is available beginning in February, and information on the Fall program is available beginning in June.
Spring 2020 Docent Training Program
- The Spring 2020 Docent Training Program will train new docents for the Best of Buffalo downtown walking tour. Taking other Explore Buffalo walking tours, especially Inside Downtown: South and Inside Downtown: North is suggested preparation for Docent Training to become familiar with our walking tours.
- The Best of Buffalo tour is offered on a regular schedule from May to October.
- New docents are asked to learn a second tour of their choosing within one year of completing their graduation tour, either through a scheduled training class or one-on-one with a mentor.
Class dates & time
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings, 9 AM – 12 PM, April 20 – May 4 (7 classes)
- A Graduation Tour will be scheduled upon completion of the course, by May 31st.
- Attendance is essential; applicants who will miss more than one class due to travel commitments, etc. should consider other volunteer opportunities with Explore Buffalo. Due to space constraints for the Docent Training Program, we are unable to accept docent trainees who will miss multiple classes.
- Classroom sessions will be held at First Presbyterian Church on Symphony Circle.
- Field sessions for the specific tour training will take place downtown.
- Anyone interested in joining the Docent Training Program should fill out the online Application form available below as the first step of the application process. The application deadline is Friday, April 3.
- Explore Buffalo will notify all applicants regarding acceptance into the Spring 2020 Docent Training Program via email. Space is limited in the Docent Training Program.
- Upon acceptance, a course fee of $95 will be required from participants by Monday, April 13, 2020. This course fee covers the cost of printing and other materials for the course, and includes a portable microphone, Explore Buffalo messenger bag, and other tour supplies. Scholarships are available for the Docent Training Program – please contact Brad Hahn at email@example.com for more information.
Questions? Please contact Brad Hahn at firstname.lastname@example.org.