DOCENT TRAINING PROGRAM
What do Explore Buffalo docents do?
- Volunteer docents lead all of Explore Buffalo’s walking tours, including regularly scheduled and private group tours for the general public, and school tours for thousands of students from elementary to high school. With hundreds of tours given each year, there are many opportunities to participate!
Why become a docent for Explore Buffalo?
- Being a docent for Explore Buffalo is FUN! What could be more thrilling than showing people from around the world Buffalo’s incredible architecture and history?
- Explore Buffalo is a docent-run organization, with a board of directors composed of active docents and volunteers, so your efforts will be supported and appreciated.
- Being a docent is a great way to meet new people within Explore Buffalo or among our many community partners. Explore Buffalo organizes regular social events for docents and volunteers.
Who can become a docent for Explore Buffalo?
- Anyone can become a docent! All that is required is an interest in and passion for Buffalo’s history and architecture.
- You are supplied with thorough background information and reading materials, not a script to be memorized. We encourage you to develop your knowledge of Buffalo and your unique voice as a storyteller conveying the growing and changing story of our city.
Docent Training Programs
- Our Winter Docent Training Program is on Saturday mornings from 9 AM – 12 PM for nine weeks beginning in February. Information on this program is available beginning in November.
- Our Spring and Fall Docent Training Programs are accelerated seven-day programs on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings from 9 AM – 12 PM. The Spring program is held in early May, and the Fall program is held in September. Information on the Spring program is available beginning in February, and information on the Fall program is available beginning in June.
Due to COVID-19, all new volunteer training programs are currently suspended. If you are interested in becoming an Explore Buffalo Docent, please submit the Docent Training Application, and we will contact you when we are able to schedule training dates in the future.
Questions? Please contact Brad Hahn at email@example.com.