Our Downtown Deco tour has concluded for the season and will return in spring 2020. Check our Calendar for available winter tours.
General Admission: $15
Student Admission: $5
Explorer Pass Holders: FREE
Tour Meets At:
Hotel at the Lafayette391 Washington Street, Buffalo, NY 14203
This downtown walking tour focuses on downtown buildings built in Buffalo in one of the twentieth century’s most distinctive architectural styles: Art Deco. Prevalent during the 1920s and 1930s, Art Deco is a unique style combining traditional motifs with modern imagery and materials of the Machine Age. Characterized by its use of bold geometric shapes, rich colors, and lavish ornamentation, Art Deco buildings stand out for their beauty and symbolism.
The Court Street corridor of downtown Buffalo, from Lafayette Square to Niagara Square, puts the Art Deco style on grand display. Buildings featured on this tour include Buffalo City Hall, Rand Building, Industrial Bank Building, Michael Dillon Federal Courthouse Walter J. Mahoney State Office Building, and the lobby of the Hotel Lafayette. While visiting these Art Deco gems, you will learn about Buffalo during the 1920s and 1930s when these buildings were being built.
This tour meets in the lobby of the Hotel at the Lafayette at 391 Washington Street. Your docent will meet you in the lobby of the hotel. Two-hour metered parking is available on surrounding streets, and the Adams Ramp is one block away at the corner of Washington and Eagle Streets. The Lafayette Square Station of the Metro Rail is one block away, across Lafayette Square on Main Street.
- General Admission: $15
- Student Admission: $5
- Explorer Pass Holders: FREE
- Advance reservations are encouraged but not required for this tour.
- All credit card payments must be made in advance. Advance reservations with a credit card can be made online until the tour starting time. Cash or checks are accepted at the start of the tour.
- If you make an advance reservation, please print your confirmation email, or be prepared to show it on your phone.
- This tour is between ninety minutes and two hours in length.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather – the tour will proceed rain or shine.
- Cameras are encouraged!
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.