Explorer Pass Holders: $10
Tour admission fees are shared with the school to support their museum and archives.
Wednesday, September 27 – 6 PM
Wednesday, November 1 – 6 PM
Thursday, December 7 – 6 PM
Thursday, January 4 – 6 PM
Wednesday, February 7 – 6 PM
Wednesday, March 7 – 6 PM
Thursday, April 12 – 6 PM
Wednesday, May 2 – 6 PM
St. Mary’s School for the Deaf, established in Buffalo in 1853 as the first academic school for the deaf in the country, was relocated from Edward Street to its current location on Main Street in 1898. This two-hour walking tour highlights the beautiful architecture of this historic building and offers fascinating information about the history and culture of deaf people in the Buffalo area. The tour also offers a glimpse into the current world of educating deaf and hard of hearing students in the 21st century.
Highlights of the tour include: original woodwork from 1898, stained glass windows in the former chapel, the school’s cherished museum which houses a wealth of artifacts and photographs from throughout the decades at St. Mary’s, and a brief meet and greet with a few of the school’s residential students, which comprise approximately 30% of the current school population. Join us for a one-of-a-kind tour in one of Buffalo’s iconic buildings!
- Advance reservations are encouraged but not required for this tour.
- All credit card payments must be made in advance. Advance reservations with a credit card can be made online until the tour starting time. Cash or checks are accepted at the start of the tour.
- If you make an advance reservation, please print your confirmation email, or be prepared to show it on your phone.
- This tour is approximately two hours in length.
- The tour is indoors (in good weather, a small amount of the tour may be outside).
- This tour is approximately two miles of indoor walking within the building. Stairs are typically used, but elevators are available if needed.
- Cameras are encouraged!
This tour meets at St. Mary’s School for the Deaf at 2253 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14214. Enter the driveway from Main Street to use the parking lot which is behind the buildings; the main entrance faces the parking lot and is up a flight of stairs to the right of the bridge that the driveway goes underneath.