Summer Youth Education Internship
Explore Buffalo is a nonprofit organization that offers walking, bike, bus, boat and kayak tours of Buffalo and the surrounding areas, as well as a variety of educational programs for adults and youth. Explore Buffalo’s tours and programs are led by volunteer docents, who the staff and interns support by coordinating and promoting the tours and programs.
Explore Buffalo is looking for enthusiastic college interns to aid in the development and implementation of our summer youth educational programs. Students in any major are encouraged to apply but must have experience or interest in working with youth. Students studying elementary education, child psychology, architecture, business, communication, or history are strongly encouraged to apply.
As an Explore Buffalo Education Intern, you will gain skills in project planning and personal management, administrative coordination, and interpersonal communication. Interns work in an inclusive, open-office work environment and have the opportunity to interact with every level of our organization, from board members to volunteers to community partners.
Youth Education Intern projects and responsibilities will include both office work at Explore Buffalo’s office in First Presbyterian Church, as well as field work in downtown Buffalo and the surrounding areas.
- Assist the Education Coordinator with administrative field work for school tours (taking pictures of tour groups, dropping off activity books to schools, etc.)
- Aid in the planning and implementation of the Explore the Summer at Canalside program, including assisting in planning and preparinging program activities and delivering the program alongside Explore Buffalo School Docents
- Compile and analyze educational data
- Other related duties as needed (research, tour script standardization, etc.)
- Experience working with school-aged youth in an educational or recreational context
- Positive, personable role model with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both independently & in a team, as well as to adapt to new work environments
- A knack for creativity and thinking outside the box
- Organized, dependable, and self-motivated
- Current college student (must be 18 years of age or older)
- Must have access to a reliable means of transportation
- June 3 – August 16, 2019
- Must be available Mondays before 2 pm. Flexible scheduling during weekdays & some weekends.
- Minimum of 10 hours per week.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Application Deadline: May 3, 2019
- Candidates will be asked to come to Explore Buffalo’s office for an interview after submitting their application. Interviews will take place during the week of May 13.