College Internship Program
Due to COVID-19, our college internship program is currently suspended. This page will be updated when we are able to resume our internship program.
Explore Buffalo is a nonprofit organization that offers walking, bike, bus, boat, and kayak tours of Buffalo and the surrounding areas. Explore Buffalo’s tours are led by volunteer docents, whom the staff and interns support by coordinating and promoting the tours.
Explore Buffalo is looking for enthusiastic college interns for spring, summer, and year-long internship positions! This internship program is a great match for college students studying architecture, history, Art History, marketing, English, communications, education, and other fields.
We see students walk away with skills in administrative coordination, project planning and personal management, social media marketing, and interpersonal communication. Interns have the opportunity to interact with every level of our organization, from board members and volunteers to community partners.
Intern projects and responsibilities are often divided between office work and field work.
- Compiling and analyzing tour reports, including demographic and marketing data
- Tracking and recording marketing outreach in print and online sources
- Possible research projects
- Other related duties to assist the Explore Buffalo staff
- Chaperoning tours and assisting with signing in tour guests
- Taking photos of tours for sharing on social media
- Current college student (must be 18 years of age or older)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Attention to detail
- Minimum of 10 hours per week
- Flexible scheduling; usually one office day and one field day per week
- Must be available on weekends *summer internship only
- Must have reliable transportation
- February 10 – May 9
- Application Deadline: January 8, 2020
- Potential interns will be asked to come to Explore Buffalo’s office for an interview after submitting their application. Interview period will take place through February 6, 2020.
- June 8 – August 14
- Application Deadline: May 25, 2020
- Potential interns will be asked to come to Explore Buffalo’s office for an interview after submitting their application. Interview period will take place through June 5, 2020.
Full Year Internship:
- September 2020 – May 2021
- Application Deadline: July 10, 2020
- Potential interns will be asked to come to Explore Buffalo’s office for an interview after submitting their application. Interview period will take place through August 14, 2020. Phone interviews are available upon request.
- We welcome and consider all applicants, but please let us know for planning purposes if you are an out of state student returning home during semester breaks.
Please complete the 2020 Internship Application and submit it with a resume to Olivia McCarthy, Deputy Director, at email@example.com.